Sunday, February 19, 2006

Changes

I found out last friday that I would soon be coming back to our head office in Makati after 2 years of being on remote assignment....

Culture Shock!!

After living the simple life, I will again be confronted by the sights, the sounds, the smells.... and the costs of the central business district. Let's enumerate the changes I'll be going through.

1. No more free lunches - At the project site, I always have buffet lunches free! In Makati, I'd have to shell out more than a hundred bucks if I want a side order of vegetables aside from the dry, bland, fried chicken swimming in polysaturated fat.

2. Parking fees - for 2 years, i never had to worry about where to park. I never had to worry about possible carjacking too.

3. Clothing - for the last 2 years, i've accumulated clothes that suit my environment - jeans, t shirts, sports socks. Now I find that my business clothes dont fit anymore and I have to spend good money on Makati-appropriate clothing. I dont feel comfortable anymore wearing ties or long sleeves. I dont even know what the fad is nowadays. Oh the humanity!

4. Traffic - need I say more?

5. Snotty Makati People - The past 2 years have seen me acquire a rather "provincial" disposition towards everything. I've got this feeling that the snobby set over at greenbelt would laugh at my rather simplistic view of things.

6. Soup #5 - Not all changes I'll be going through will be negative though. Already, I'm starting to salivate for my eventual reunion with kabayan's soup #5, bulalo, etc. over at my friendly jolly jeep stand. The downside? My cholesterol level is going to hit the roof!

7. Pollution - I've been subjected to a different type of pollution at my old project site - dust. Now I will have to contend with carbon monoxide, garbage, etc.

8. iPod - I have the feeling that most everyone I encounter in Makati will be wearing his own iPod or other MP3 player. Should I buy one to be "in"?

9. Yellow Boys - I'll be dealing with Makati's finest again. Have to remember the traffic rules in the land of Binay again.

10. And.. the top 10 thing I would definitely encounter when I go back to Makati - girls in minis!! Yey!!!

No comments: