Saturday, May 20, 2006

The Da Vinci Conspiracy

I haven't watched the Da Vinci Code.

It's not because the movie represents an affront to my religion - I don't have one! It's not because I fear that the movie will change my belief - I don't believe in anything.

It's because the movie sucks. The book sucks. It plagiarized a lot of myths and conspiracy theories and melded them all into a James Bond plot. And James Bond sucks! I do not see any redeeming value in the film to merit a trip to the cineplex. Which is why I watch with amusement at all the brouhaha about the film.

So why all the fuss? The Presidential Spokesman had something to say, the city council of Manila tried to ban it. SM cinemas would have wanted all that profit except that they tried to ride on a high horse and banned all R18 movies from all their malls. a cachophony of congressmen and senators had their photo/video op for the news cameras. And for what?

If you ask me, all this brouhaha isn't about blasphemy, it isn't about the erosion of moral fabrics, it is about thought control. It is about power. It is about keeping the status quo.

Of course the Catholic Church doesnt want the dogma questioned. They dont want people questioning their teachings. Faith is about belief without question. Should people start questioning their belief, thats the ballgame!

The politicos and the government doesn't want the movie because they dont want the masses to learn "critical thinking". They want as meek and subservient like lambs being led into slaughter.

Now thats a conspiracy theory!

No comments: